Makhanas are super versatile. And many recipes can be upgraded by replacing other ingredients with Makhanas, one such recipe is Makhana Palak. Don’t worry you will not be disappointed once you try this amazing combination and replacement for paneer.
- Spinach /Palak – 3 bunch (500 gms)
- Tomatoes – 3 medium size (300 gms)
- Green Chillies – 3
- Ginger – 1 Tbsp.
- Foxnuts – 60gms.
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp.
- Red Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Cooking oil or Desi ghee: 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera: 1/2 tsp
- Bay Leaves / Tej Patta -2
- Cloves / Lavang – 2
- Cardamom / Elaichi – 2
- Wash spinach leaves with water and boil in 5 glasses of water in a wide pan.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes and once the leaves change their colour take them out and put them in ice cold water, later squeeze and grind to make a puree.
- Make a puree of chopped tomatoes with green chilies and ginger.
- In a pan sauté the fox nuts with desi ghee on low flame then take them out in a bowl.
- In the pan add 2 tbsp of cooking oil or butter and add cumin seeds. when cumin starts to crackle add cloves, cardamom, and bay leaves.
- Now add tomato puree, turmeric and red chili powder.
- Cook untill oil start separating from the tomato mixture.
- Now add the spinach puree, salt and sugar and mix well and now cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes, no need to cover the pan now.
- Add the roasted makhana and cook for 2 minutes or till makhana become soft.
- Add lemon juice and serve hot.
- Serve hot with roti or rice, as Makhana tend to become soggy.